Thursday, December 16, 2010

Will there be a pre-existing condition waiting period when adding a new spouse to my health insurance?

I'm getting married next month and adding my fiance to my employer-based health insurance plan. He has a pre-existing condition and no insurance. The insurance company said they aren't allowed to deny coverage, so that's good. But are they still allowed to impose a waiting period before he can get medications or treatment for *that specific condition*? I see a lot of things saying they can't do this to kids but nothing about adults.
--------------------
They can impose a waiting period since he doesn't currently have insurance. The waiting period will depend upon the insurance company, the policy, and your state regulations but can be up to 12 months.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment