Thursday, December 16, 2010

What can I expect for health insurance costs as an early retiree?

I'm 35 now and plan to retire around 40 or 41. I'm not exorbitantly rich, though; I've just saved enough to support my expenses and will do what I want instead of going to work every day. What I don't have a good handle on are my options for health insurance (before reaching age 65 and Medicare, or whatever age at which Medicare will be available in 30-40 years). Are there any in the industry who have seen similar situations and have suggestions about what to expect? Thanks, Doug
--------------------
First and foremost, you need to make sure that you can qualify for an individual policy. In most states (Nevada here) Individual Health Insurance is not guaranteed issue. This means if you have pre-existing conditions, you may not qualify. Second, the coverage will be very reasonable ($150 - $350 per month) till you hit the great age of 50 - then rates really start going up. If you are in good health, you should consider looking into Health Savings Account qualified plans - lower premiums and protect you from catestropic events. If you choos to open the HSA - you can fund the account with pre-tax dollars and pay for qualified medical expenses tax free. This is also a great financial vehicle to save for future medical expenses. In your situation, this may be a good option. I hope this helps
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment