Friday, December 24, 2010

If I go on unemployment, does my company pay health insurance?

My company has laid me off and is going to pay me unemployment. Does my company have to continue my health insurance, or will I be dropped automatically? If so is there anything I can do other than Cobra for a month until my husband's insurance starts?
--------------------
Chances are, you won't even get the premium notice for COBRA for 30 days after your last day. The employer has 30 days to notify the insurance company of your lay-off, then the COBRA Administrator has 14 days to get the notice to you. Once you receive it you will have 60 days to decide if you want it. So if something happens in that 30 days that you are uninsured, you will be able to get that covered by COBRA. If nothing happens, decline COBRA.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment