Friday, December 24, 2010

Can I still get health insurance when I have bipolar disorder?

I've heard from a lot of people that they can't get health insurance because they have bipolar disorder (type ii) like me, but if I'm covered under my parents insurance currently. Then when I finish college and go out on my own, will my past medical history prevent me from obtaining my own insurance?
--------------------
It depends on what state you live in. Where I live the state mandates that insurance companies "shall provide coverage for the treatment of biologically based mental illness that is no less extensive than the coverage provided for any other physical illness," which includes bipolar disorder. If your state does not have this mandate you may be able to get a policy that excludes, or limits coverage for treatment of your disorder. What you should do is contact a local agent with knowledge of your states laws, and ask for a pre-screen with multiple carriers. Don http://mtnhealthinsurance.com
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment