Friday, December 24, 2010

Can I have two health insurance policies?

I already have health insurance through my wife's company, but my company is now starting to offer insurance. We just renewed our policy at my wife's company, and that won't run out until June 30 next year. My company's insurance will start August 1. Benefits are better with my wife's company, and even though we have to pay, I'd rather have that. Any advice?
--------------------
Well, first I think it depends on what state you live in. Different states have different laws about that. But, from my experience, you can have two health ins plans. One would be primary and the other would be secondary. But, you really want to look at options on both. You also would want to look at the cost involved with having two policies. Look at deductibles that will have to be met on both policies, not to mention if you have to pay to have both of them. Most of the time, it makes sense to only have one policy. If you have two, it also may cause a lot of conflict between the insurance companies. One may not want to pay and then the other may say the first will need to pay. You can see where the conflict could happen. I hope this helps!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment