Saturday, July 16, 2011

As a senior citizen on medicare do I need additional health insurance. Presently I have both and it is costly.?

It is costing me nearly $200 per month. Whenever I have blood work and doctor visit they charge medicare not my med insurance. I am healthy and only go to the doctors and have blood work 3 times per year.
--------------------
Medicare has two part that cover medical related expense. Part A is for hospital situations an if admitted your only cost in 2009 is a $1,068 deductible. Part B is for all out patient medical expenses. It pays 80% of the Medicare rate for a specific treatment and the person pays 20%. Today so much treatment is done on an outpatient basis thus a Medicare Supplement plan, which pays the 20%, is needed. In my area a very good Medicare Supplement can be purchased for about $190 a month. There would be an additional cost of about $40 for prescription coverage. Another option to cover the medical treatment expenses Medicare does not pay is a Medicare Advantage plan. They normally cover medical and prescription and the monthly cost could be around $120 a month. A person currently on Medicare can enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan once a year during the annual open enrollment from Nov 15th to Dec 31.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment