Sunday, March 13, 2011

How do health insurance plans apply a deductible to prescription medicines?

My insurance (Unicare Platinum PPO Performance) says there is a $25 copay on brand name prescriptions. It also says there is a $200 deductible on brand name prescriptions. Last Friday I picked up Levaquin and I had to pay $150. They said it's because I haven't met my deductible yet. So how does that work? Do I have to pay regular prices on brand name prescriptions until I've paid $200 during the 12-month period before I can start paying $25 per prescription? I thought the copay started automatically. I guess I was naieve.
--------------------
That's where the insurance company gets you. Yes, you pay out of pocket entirely until you meet your deductable. The next time you get a prescription make sure to ask your doctor for a medication that has a generic available. Levaquin has no generic as of yet, but a drug in the same class called Cipro does, and that little change could've saved you from having to pay out of pocket, you would've paid just your generic copay. Unfortunately, if you don't know much about medications, insurance companies can get out of paying for medications. Always ask when your bill is high if there was something similar your doctor could've written that would save you money. The pharmacist can always call your doctor and request that a medication be changed.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment