Sunday, March 13, 2011

Can an insurance company deny my family health care because I'm pregnant even though I'm not in the plan?

I have my own health insurance and my husband and kids were looking at health insurance just for them, and because I'm pregnant they were denied even though I would not be on the same plan or even get my health care insurance from the same company. How does my pregnancy allow a company to deny health care to my two boys?
--------------------
Under federal law, when you deliver, if the father of the child has health coverage (group or individual) they insurance company is required to add the baby on the date of birth. So if you have a NICU baby, they would be required to cover it and the costs involved. And since they don't take chances, they refuse to cover the mother and the father. However, they will normally cover the siblings. Reapply, asking just for coverage on your sons.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment