Monday, December 20, 2010

Why do states have laws on the minimum on hours worked law to be eligible for health insurance?

Some states like NJ & NY set a minimum number of hours that must be worked in order for the employee to be considered eligible for the employee health insurance. Why is there this law? Who does it protect, the employer, the employee, or the health insurance company? If it is to protect the employer, why not rely on employer policy. Likewise, if it is to protect the insurance company, why can't the insurance company rely on a contractual minimum hours policy? It
--------------------
What everyone else said is basically accurate on the laws. It really sucks for college students like myself though. I'm 23 and although I'm a full time student, I was dropped from my parents' health insurance on my 22nd birthday. My school does not provide health insurance to students and since I can only work part time (those are the only hours available for me to work) I'm going to be uninsured until full time work becomes available (and after I go through the graze period) and then I MIGHT be eligible for insurance. I do understand why the laws are in place but I think certain things need to become more lax for people in certain circumstances and situations.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment