Monday, December 20, 2010

Can you purchase health insurance for a baby only?

I'm expecting my first baby in October and I already have health insurance but will not be able to add my baby to mine. I know I have to wait 'till he is born to legally get insurance, but can I get insurance for only him, or do I need to be on the plan too?
--------------------
Even IF he's born perfectly healthy, you're not going to be able to buy a policy with a low deductible, on a newborn. So yes, you can buy one . . . after he's about six months old, but a. it will take a month or two AFTER he's born to put coverage in place and b. it's NOT going to cover the routine doctor visits and vaccinations that the baby gets. You're GOING to have a big, fat, $5000 deductible, because that first year of routine medical care, usually costs about $5,000.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment