Monday, December 20, 2010

What do I do if I had out of state surgery and no health insurance?

I am from PA and recenty had an atv accident in WV where I broke my arm and had to get surgery to have plates put in. I do not have health insurance and am self-employed. What can I do about lowering my costs and what kind of attorney do I need to get advise?
--------------------
You shouldn't need an attorney for the hospital care. In fact, a judge would wonder why you are paying someone when you claim you dont' have money, get the irony in that? Call the billing department yourself. Explain that you do not have insurance of any kind and that you are going to have to pay out of pocket. You will have a couple of different options if you push hard enough for it. One, a very low (around half) bill if you pay off immediately with a check or credit card. Two, a much lower bill (around 35% off) that you can then offer to make payments on. If the person at the first desk claims they cannot lower the bill or offer you anything better, then ask to talk to a supervisor. Ask the supervisor if anyone is higher up if needed. But most hospitals are happy to lower the bill down so they can get some of the money back. Way better than none. I have done it any time me or my family has gone into the hospital and it's never once failed.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment