Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What happens if i lie when i apply for my health insurance?

I recently got a new job which provides health insurance... but the problem is that my son around 12 years ago had cancer, he was treated and cured in another country several years ago. If i wanted him to be covered i believe my insurance payment will go up, If i lie and say that no one in the family has had cancer would it matter?
--------------------
Sometimes they fire people if their health condition (or a family member's health condition) or the insured's age raises the premiums for the company. They will think of other reasons to fire you so that it can't be traced to discrimination, but it can happen. I believe it happened to me. I had cancer and was in treatment with an insurance from a second job. I didn't mention the cancer. When I finally got on fulltime with benefits, the administator said to me (privately) "why didn't you tell us you had cancer when we hired you?"....we were alone and I can't prove they fired me for that, but I KNOW. And I have seen it happen where people got fired after having knee surgery and coming back, etc. It raises the premium rates for the company and they don't like that. (I am in remission by the way and have only cost them so much as one surgeon's doctor visit and one chemo checkup doctor visit (for blood work)..) If they find out, then it could be denied or insurance fraud... It is your decision to make...You might want to watch the Michael Moore movie "Sicko" to help you decide what to do... P.S. sometimes there are sort of health care "bureaus" like credit bureaus that insurance companies can find out past medical histories on people....like credit bureaus...I don't know if they are still legal after HIPPA health privacy laws were passed a few years back..
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment