Wednesday, December 8, 2010

can you force a health insurance company to keep you insured?

I am a student going on 25, and I have health insurance through my parents via their employers. At 25 my health insurance company will drop me. If i have a chronic illness that requires medication to control and regular check ups can I keep my health insurance from dropping me? If so how would I do that?
--------------------
No, you can not force the insurer to allow you to keep your current coverage at the current premium. (If it were that easy, we wouldn't have so many uninsured people.) There is a possibility that you could be eligible for COBRA or a conversion plan. You can inquire with your insurer as to whether you'd be eligible for either of those types of policies. However, its important to keep in mind that either option will be very expensive. And a conversion policy wouldn't necessarily have the same benefit level you currently have - may have different deductibles, coinsurance, copays, etc. (A COBRA policy would keep you at the same level of benefits, but you'd be paying 100% of the premium + an administrative fee.) If you're not eligible for COBRA or a conversion policy (or can't afford the premiums), your options are more limited. You can try applying for a private policy, but with a chronic illness requiring medication and regular checkups you might get turned down. The best, most relatively affordable option for you at this point would be to find a job that offers insurance benefits. Your employer's policy can't turn you down because of your illness. (Yes, I know you said you're a student. However, you wouldn't be the first person to have to delay her education and/or drop to part time due to financial/insurance issues.) Or else be prepared to pay for your medicines and doctor visits out of pocket, of course.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment