Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Is it worthwhile for both me and spouse to purchase family coverage health insurance?

I currently have family coverage health insurance through my employer that takes care of me, my spouse, and my infant son. It is about $160/month and has excellent benefits. Now my husband is eligible to buy health insurance through his employer. He could either get single coverage for $25/week for a plan with a $250 deductible, or $21/week for a plan with a $750 deductible. Or he could get family coverage at either $61/week for the lower deductible or $50/week for the higher deductible. The office visit copay is slightly higher with the higher deductible plan. Or he can decline coverage altogether. There is NO WAY I will be canceling our family coverage through my employer. So, is it worth for my spouse to buy dual coverage through his employer? If so, what considerations should we make when deciding to purchase either single or family, and deciding whether to do the lower or higher deductible?
--------------------
Personally, I don't believe you need BOTH insurance coverages. You said yourself, your plan has excellent benefits. And if you're only paying $160 a month, that's an excellent rate. Your husband should decline coverage with his employer. Keep in mind, should something ever happened with your job or your coverage, you can always pick up insurance through your husband's job at that time.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment