Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How can i handle my hospital bill without health insurance?

Hi, Everybody! I'm college student, i work part-time and make around $500 per month. I just got appendix surgery at Northridge Hospital in CA, unfortunately i didn't have health insurance. I estimated my bill will be around $15,000. Does anyone know any Charity Organizations which help poor students with their hospital bill? Thank you for your help and patience for responding my answer.
--------------------
I recently had an air conditioner fall on my foot. I called around first to try and get ANY hospital to give me some kind of estimate as to what they think I might be paying for the visit, only to have every single one tell me they had no idea. To me, this itself should be against the law. After going to the emergency room and having it x-rayed and the whole nine yards, their response was "We're not sure if its broken, but go talk to this other doctor on Monday, spend some more money and still maybe not have an answer". For this, they wanted $1,500. Do us all a favor, don't pay them a dime. Let them succumb to the forces of a free market and force them to charge somewhat reasonable fees. As it stands, they give insurance companies 60-80% discounts on just about everything, and charges the uninsured 100% rip-off rates. They cannot force you to pay, they can only report it on your credit. Also, it is worth noting that after 7 years, it will fall off your credit history.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment