Thursday, July 28, 2011

When you have a baby, the child is covered under the mother's health insurance for 30 days following birth...?

Is the child covered under the father's health insurance for 30 days as well? My husband and I have 2 different health insurance providers and I have a 35% coinsurance with my (I am the mother) insurance. I am now getting thousands of dollars of medical bills for the delivery of my child. I know I am responsible for my hospital stay, but I have a $4000 bill for my daughter's. Can I submit that to my husband's insurance?
--------------------
Not exactly true, for either of those. You have 30 days from the date the baby is born, to ADD that child, to mom's coverage, or dad's coverage. IF you add the baby, the baby is covered retroactive, from the date of birth. SOME state medicaid programs - welfare health insurance - WILL automatically cover the baby under mother's welfare health insurance, for the first 30 days, even if baby never gets added. IF the baby gets added to both mom's private insurance, and dad's private insurance, the "birthday rule" applies, as to whose coverage is primary - whoever has the first birthday, during the year, is primary. BUT, if dad does add baby, and you submit the bill, his coverages apply to the TOTAL AMOUNT, not just the part you have to pay. So, if dad also has a 35% coinsurance, then his insurance pays NOTHING, because yours already picked up 65% of the bill. If his has a 30% coinsurance, then his pays the difference - 5% of the TOTAL, not 65% of the BALANCE.
Source

1 comment:

  1. The information is very valuable .Thanks for sharing it.www.dialurdoctor.com

    ReplyDelete