Monday, April 25, 2011

Can I claim my daughter if she is on her fathers health insurance?

she was on mine before but i have a higher deductable and my ex boyfriend (daughters father) has better insurance. But we both agreed I can claim her. Will this affect both of us when we file taxes? or insurance have no effect on taxes?
--------------------
Whose health insurance your daughter is on makes no difference on taxes. She's your daughter, I assume [1] she lives with you, [2] she's under age 19, and [3] you support her (as opposed to her supporting herself), so you would claim her on your tax return. (Who she lives with is the big one here - the person she lived with the longest is the person who would claim her.) But insurance never comes into play when determining who claims a child's exemption. Hope that helped!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment