Saturday, March 19, 2011

Will my fiances health insurance pay for my medical care during pregnancy after we get married?

I am 4 weeks pregnant I am marrying my finace on June 30th. He works for Jewel-Osco and has pretty good health insurance. Is the insurance company going to pay all the expenses during my pregnancy after we get married or not?
--------------------
It all depends. Your best bet to figuring out your coverage is to get your fiance/husband to call his health insurance provider and ask them. There should be an 800 number you can call to confirm what coverage there is. You will also need to verify if the "change in status" (in this case, marriage) will make the insurance coverage instantaneous. Some insurances will make you do a waiting period before you are insured. I'm reasonably sure that marriage is an instant coverage case. Your fiance/husband has probably already served his waiting period time before he was covered. I don't think pregnancy technically qualifies as a "pre-existing" condition which is something insurers will use to deny coverage. But I'm not an insurance expert. Lastly, I don't think that the insurance will pay for anything that you have already paid for in regards to your pregnancy or general health. Only when coverage starts (on or after June 30th). In light of all that, CONGRATULATIONS on your pending nuptials! ********************************* In regards to your update about your citizenship, I do not think that not having a SSN will be much of a problem. I think with your married status that it would cover you. They may require you to get some form of government ID though. I, again, stress the need to talk to the insurance company to verify all of this. Also, CVS just purchased Jewel-Osco-Savon so that may have some bearing on what happens to the insurance plan.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment