Monday, March 7, 2011

Health insurance?

I left my job about a couple of months back.Im actively looking for a job and hoping to land something by next month.Im eligible for COBRA benefits through my former employment.I still have time to elect or waive the COBRA coverage.Im not sure whether I should elect it.I definitely don't have any planned doc/hospital visit in the near future,so I need insurance only for unexpected events.I have time until Aug first week to make the election.I might get insured through my new employer before or roughly around the first half of August but it would be about 4 months since I lost coverage from my previous insurance plan if I do not elect COBRA.I don't know if that has any significance and I don't know what exactly is the HIPAA rights.I read somewhere that a break in health insurance for more than 63 days could mean losing HIPAA rights and also have some other consequences like pre-exclusion.My question is what are the pros and mainly the cons of electing or waiving COBRA benefits?
--------------------
You need to take the Cobra. If you don't, and during your uninsured time you develope a problem that will remain with you the rest of your life (diabetes, cancer, fibromyalgia, kidney issues, etc), a new insurer can exclude any medical treatment related to that condition as "pre-existing". Uninsured medical issues are the number one reason why middle class people become poor people.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment