Monday, March 7, 2011

Do you know your health insurance situation?

A friend of mine was diagnosed with late-stage cancer. She was going to need long-term treatment. She learned that after 90 days away from her job she'd be placed on long-term disability (fortunately for her she had purchased that option). If she becomes unable to make her COBRA payments, she will not have health care coverage. Too sick to work for 3 months might lose your insurance. Do you know for sure how your particular situation would work? If this happened to you, you sure would be glad to have a Public Option.
--------------------
Thank you for that. I think that way too many people think that they are covered because they pay for their health insurance. I have to say that I used to be that very same way. That was until my aunt and uncle had their issue - my uncle carried the health insurance, and my aunt found out that she had cancer. Low and behold, there was this little paragraph in their insurance that had been paid for faithfully for over 20 years that they would only pay for so much treatment for a major illness, and then that would be it. That little paragraph only covered some of the initial medical treatment - none of the meds (they weren't on their list - too expensive, so they had to pay for the hundereds of dollars worth of meds each month out of pocket), and turned out that only the first round of chemo was covered. Because the doctor recommended the second round, the insurance company stated they would not pay for it, and that was that. They were dropped at the end of the policy year. So NOTHING was covered. You think that you are safe and that this public option is not needed for you because you have insurance - think again. When all that happened to my aunt and uncle, I grabbed my policy and read it cover to cover. Funny what you find out when that happens - like the insurance company gets to dictate my treatment (not me or my doctor), and they will only pay for what their medical staff dictates is necessary (privatized death panels). They didn't cover some of the medications that would be needed for a major diagnosis (as in cancer), and that would have to be paid for out of pocket. And they also had the option of dropping me from their plan at the end of the policy year if I "incurred too much in the way of medical expenses". I beg people - read your plans. And if you think that you are never going to have it happen to you, think again. Cancer doesn't run in our family, and my aunt got it. And they filed bankruptcy last year due to the medical bills. Guess that my bills will go up due to that, won't they? I mean, they will have to be paid by someone. . .
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment