Monday, January 31, 2011

When to get health insurance for your newborn?

I am in my first trimester and just wondering when do I need to get health insurance for my newborn-the health insurance is United Healthcare and offered through my job
--------------------
Exactly what Kenneba... (it didn't fill in her name!!) said, Your deductible will either be two now (which will account for the newborn care at the hospital and all vaccinations and other check-ups) or it will shoot up to a "family" deductible which maybe 1/2 added to the top of what your current deductible is. You don't need to call to add your baby now, just at some point within 30 days of birth but I would call now and find out how it changes your plan and your deductible and you will always want to know what they will cover for baby at the hospital (like if you are planning on a circumcision, most insurances no longer cover this) and any "uncommon" vaccinations given at the hospital. With my first child I had a family plan to start so it didn't change one bit when I added my baby (other then premium increase) but with my second child I got screwed hard, my deductible double and went from a $7500 to now 15k, and basically it covered NOTHING and left me with huge bills that I am still working on getting down, 4 years later! So call and find out for sure, and most of all GET IT IN WRITING! Their "word" means nothing. Whatever they tell you make sure they send it to you in a plan of some type. You may also want to think of getting 2nd insurance though private if you have very high deductible that may double, then you can add your baby to the new policy and be better covered incase your 1st insurance didn't pick up the way you hoped. (It would only be covering your newborn though and not you as pregnancy is pre-existing, but it would cover your newborn without you on the plan)
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment