Monday, January 31, 2011

do your parents need to claim me on their taxes if I'm on their health insurance?

I am a full time student and I am on my parents health insurance. I have my own job and when they claim me on their taxes it kills my tax return. They have Blue Cross and Blue Shield, so I'm not sure if its required by them but everyone that I have talked to that are on their parents health insurance are not claimed on their parents taxes. I was just wondering if this was something that was necessary for the insurance company.
--------------------
No they don't have to claim you on their taxes, but it helps them with their deductions while it will kill you final tax return amount. They can claim the health care premium as a deduction and any costs they pay for medical prescriptions or office visits you may have also. But they don't have to claim you as a dependant.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment