Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Is it legal for a company to not give me my health insurance after telling me I would get them when hired?

I started a new job in August. I was told that I would be elgible for health insurance after 60 days. I have now been there for over 90 days and still they will not give me the paperwork to fill out to get enrolled. I have asked daily for the past month, asked for numbers to call to get the paperwork myself and still nothing happens. I have spoken to another manager who himself is uninsured after working for the company for 2 years. What can I do?
--------------------
health insurance does not have to be offered as a benefit but if it is....in many states it must be offered according to a written policy and the policy must be followed. many states do not regulate this issue at all but a few do so knowing where you are would make a huge difference. if the state does not regulate how the insurance is offered and you feel that you are not being treated fairly due to being part of a protected group then the EEOC could be of assistance. for general information about health benefits: http://www.dol.gov/compliance/topics/ben… for information concerning discrimination: http://www.eeoc.gov What can I do? talk one last time with your supervisor then talk to someone in HR if they refuse to answer you or address your concerns then contact your states department of labor. if the department of labor does not regulate this issue then there is nothing to do unless you feel discrimination is involved. if you feel discrimination is involved you can go the EEOC route.
Source

1 comment:

  1. Good job! The blog contains as much legal news on the topic as one could expect. It’s quite impressive. You seem to spend plenty of time behind this. This is first time here. I would make regular
    Read more: Legal Transcription and Legal Transcription Services India

    ReplyDelete