Saturday, January 22, 2011

Can an Expecting Father get health insurance?

I applied for health insurance with Cigna and they called me today to say that my rate would increase by 25% because 2 months ago, my doctor prescirbed a very limited quantity of xanax for occasional stress. I told the underwriter that I was just stressed because my fiancee was pregnant. She called me back 10 minutes later and told me they were denying coverage because my fiancee is pregnant. How is this legal? Does anyone have a similar story? Can someone recommend health insurance that will accept me if my fiancee is pregnant?
--------------------
My husband and I have found ourselves in a similar situation. After we had moved to Chicago and one of us was able to get a job that offered health insurance, we weighed all the options and decided to go for private health insurance for my husband, since adding him to my work insurance was going to cost WAY too much. Well, we were very surprised when we found out that my husband could not get health insurance because I was pregnant. I have looked around to see if anyone could provide my husband with health insurance but have had NO luck. We are stuck in this situation now in which my husband will be left with no health insurance for months until the baby is born and covered under my health insurance plan. I could add my husband to my work insurance but enrollment period won't happen again until 3 months after our baby is born. During one of my conversations with one of the health care providers I was told that expectant fathers cannot be approved for health insurance and that it is something that is valid nation wide. I have not found a reliable source to back the statement but I also have not found an insurance company that will cover my husband. Sorry to bring you bad news.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment