Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Can my employer deny me health insurance benefits if I'm working full time?

My coworker has been working at our company for nine months. She was hired as a temporary employee, with the promise of being made full time. She works full time, but they never gave her full time status and refuse to offer her health insurance. Is this legal?
--------------------
I believe you mean that she was hired as temp with the promise of being made permanent. If she did not get that agreement in writing, she doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. If the company only offers insurance to all full-time permanent employees, they have not broken any laws, since she is still classified as a temporary employee. But she should check the employee handbook or info she was given at her hire.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment