Sunday, December 26, 2010

About how much coverage does your health insurance provide?

I'm trying to figure out the average coverage of health insurance. Do they cover 70% of your medical bills? 90%? Tell me yours, or an average that you know of.
--------------------
As a physician, I see many of the hundreds of plans offered. The range is amazing. Some are very good (like my son's coverage): $100 deductible and 80-90% coverage. I can't afford that sort of plan, so my family has a $1500 deductible per person, and 80% coverage. I've seen plans that have high deductibles and cover 50%, to some that cover my charges in full. Medicare has a fairly low deductible, and pays 80% after they write off about 75% of what physicians charge :( It's pretty close to charity work for us. Many people don't understand their insurance plan, and it's no wonder. They are complex and confusing. Add into that equation the fact that insurance companies are dishonest and frequently try to get out of paying for things they ought to cover. I've spent hours trying to get paid for a 20 minute case.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment