Monday, November 8, 2010

Can being a living kidney donor affect my chances of getting health insurance later in life?

I am planning on donating one of my kidneys to my best friend in the near future. All testing has shown that we would be a great match (yay!). My concern is that once I do go through with the donation, will it affect my ability to get health insurance later on? I currently am without health insurance. Can/ or will I be denied health insurance because of this? Thanks for your advice!
--------------------
You should get insurance before you have this done, in case the donation doesn't go well and you need additional care. Also, if you are insured before you donate, they're less likely to exempt you since it won't be a "pre-existing condition". Find a good insurance agent who deals with individual policies a lot, they should be able to answer your questions and hook you up with a policy you can afford. They should also be able to tell you how you can write your premium payments off at the end of the tax year. You're a very kind and generous person to give your friend a kidney! My hat is off to you.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment