Monday, November 8, 2010

Will I lose my health insurance if I do not work enough hours at my job?

When I signed up for my health insurance I remember reading that I needed to work 30 hrs a week to maintain it. Last week I only worked 29 hrs. Will I completely lose my insurance in one week or does it have to be a pattern? If I work more than 30 hrs the next week will it resume or will I have to re-enroll in the coverage? Thanks.
--------------------
If you work less than the required minimum for health insurance benefits, the company must offer you the opportunity to pay for the coverage. It would be based on a pattern, and not a week-to-week basis; probably over the period of a month. If you don't work the required 120+ hours during that month, the premiums would be deducted from your pay, or you would be billed by the employer, to keep the policy in force. The employer would continue to pay it's share, then charge you for the difference. This is because they can't add you on and take you off the policy every other month.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment