Monday, August 15, 2011

Can I use moms health insurance?

My mother plans to not claim me as a dependent this year ( I am eligible to claim myself). Can I still be on her health insurance if she is not claiming me? She says I can't be on her health insurance because she's not claiming me, not sure if that's right..... Thanks!
--------------------
It is possible that your mom is correct. If her plan specifically states that a child must be claimed for tax purposes to be a dependent on the policy, then you would not be eligible if she didn't claim you on her taxes. I work on dependent audits, and I have had to request tax returns from people to prove that their dependents are still eligible. I've also had to remove children from health insurance policies for not being claimed on taxes, if the rules of the policy state that a dependent must be on your taxes. It is true that many employers don't have that requirement. However, if your mom's employer does, then you can't stay on the policy if you're not on the taxes
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment