Friday, March 4, 2011

Will you be able to afford health insurance when the premiums go up?

My insurance premiums have skyrocketed in the last 3 years, yet this year the insurance industry will be required to cover pre-existing conditions for children and also for adult children up to the age of 26 (and sometimes longer). I doubt that I will be able to afford the new premiums. When preiums go up, who will be left that can afford health insurance? .
--------------------
Bellevue, you're wrong that's why you get the thumbs down. Johns Hopkins is in my back yard, so you'll never have access to the health care I have unless the system here is completely undermined. And, yes if you make no money then your payroll taxes will be less. And, you're only counting your payroll taxes. You're not counting the roughly three times the amount that your company pays. Sure, your company is paying it and not you, but where do you think American companies would get that additional tax? They're either going to cut payroll (lay people off) or they're going to cut salaries. You can't just expect other people to pay for things, because those other people have to get the money from somewhere. And, health insurance here for the healthy is not expensive at all. A couple weeks ago I could insure an entire 20-40-something family with maternity coverage for about $300-$400/month. Of course I say a couple weeks ago, because those plans are all going away (that plan is gone as of two weeks ago). If insurance companies are going to have to cover every pregnant girl that walks through the door then why cover maternity? I talked to a guy 3 weeks ago about insuring his daughter for $80/month off his group plan. He called me this week to get it done only to find out that children in America can't buy their own plan anymore. So, now he has to pay $200-$300/month to get her on his group plan at work. I also had a client who just sent me an e-mail last week that said, "my insurance went up from $261 to $344. What is that about?" My response...."new health care bill...."
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment