Friday, March 4, 2011

Should I switch myself and the baby to his health insurance?

I am three months pregnant and getting married in May. The baby is due at the end of October. I currently work full time and have my own health insurance, and have registered my upcoming birth with my health insurance as well. If I get married in May, and do not enroll in my husband's health insurance within 30 days, will I still be able to enroll myself and the baby once my maternity leave is over if I don't return to work? Is it better to just enroll myself and the baby right after I get married, instead of waiting until after the birth? Will I be able to enroll even though I was pregnant before I was married? If I do enroll in his insurance, I will be enrolled in a health insurance plan through my company, and through his. Can that be done? It seems like a waste of money. If there are any HR people out there who could help, please respond. I get so confused with all of this stuff!
--------------------
Yes you can enroll even though you are pregnant (but call them to verify). If you are thinking about not going back to work I would switch now. You should be able to cancel your health insurance once the new plan is active. They will just want proof that you are on the new plan.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment