Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I am thinking about quitting my job and don't know how to best deal with health insurance. Can you help?

I am quitting my job and moving across the country (maybe). I don't have a new job but I know it can be very bad to let your health-insurance lapse, particularly if you have "pre-existing conditions." Is anyone familiar with how to best take time off between jobs without screwing yourself in the long run? I want to make sure I don't get dinged on health insurance, today or in the future. Also, if you have any other advice about quitting jobs and moving to a new city, I'm all ears. Thanks.
--------------------
if you have insurance through your employer now, you have the option to continue that coverage under a law called COBRA. the difference is that you will pay the full cost of the premiums; right now your employer probably pays a good portion of the premium. you have an option to take 60 days to decide whether you want the coverage, and another 45 days to pay for it - coverage and payments are retroactive back to the date of your termination. select that "60 day decision option", and if you find a new job within a few weeks of the move, and have no health care issues in the meantime, you're good. if something does come up, or if it takes you longer to find a job, you can decide to pick up COBRA coverage - remember, it's retroactive. it is expensive though, so you may want to go onto the blue cross website and research individual plans as well to see if you can save any $$$. good luck.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment