Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Does anyone use CHIP health insurance for their child?

I will be taking a new job with a small company that does not provide insurance, so we'll be buying our own. The only problem with this is that my 2 year old son was recently diagnosed with epilepsy, so nobody will cover him (or it costs a TON.) So we're considering putting him on CHIP, which is PA's state health insurance program. Anyone else use this? I'm very curious about the waiting period before he would be covered.
--------------------
My daughter has CHIP in Texas. I don't know what it's like in PA, but here it didn't take too long. I had to apply. Waited a few weeks for the interview to decide if she would get CHIP or Medicaid. Waited a few more weeks for the acceptance letter which said she would be started in a few more weeks. ... Maybe a 2 month process from the day I started filling out the paper work until she was officially covered. I know it's a long time when your child has problems. But it's better than the waiting period for some other things. Also, I could be wrong, but I think they cover any outstanding balances you have from the last couple of months before you apply. So that helps too. You say you are "considering" putting him on CHIP. I suggest you start filling out the papers ASAP - Today if possible. The worst they can do is turn you down. And if you apply but then find a provider you like more - it shouldn't be too hard to cancel your application with CHIP.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment