Monday, January 24, 2011

What kind of trouble can I get in if I still use my X-husbands Health Insurance?

My husband and I will be divorced soon. He said he wouldn't notify his employer that we are divorced right away, so I continue on his health Insurance, even for just 6 months. What kind of trouble can we get in for this?
--------------------
It doesn't matter when he tells them - they will cancel your coverage retroactively back to the date of your divorce. (That was the date you became ineligible.) If the insurance company paid any claims for you in the meantime, they will retract all payments from your medical providers. Your medical providers will come after you for full payment. And, of course, your soon-to-be ex-husband could get in trouble with his employer for attempting to defraud them. P.S. Even if the insurance company doesn't find out you've been divorced for years, they can go back and retroactively cancel you to the date of your divorce. You're much better off finding coverage that you are actually eligible for now, because your plan will come back to bite you in the end.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment