Monday, January 24, 2011

How do I take care of a pinched sciatic nerve with no health insurance?

If I don't have health insurance, should I still see a doctor if I think I have a pinched sciatic nerve? By the way im a 24 y.o. male
--------------------
I have had sciatic problems, I had 2 herniated discs that required surgery, I'm lucky that I am on my husbands insurance, but I'll tell you what I've learned from all the stuff I went through. First, you are probably having muscle spasms, when we injure our backs the muscles tense up in an attempt to protect the spine, however for some reason even after the injury is healed the muscles won't relax and this can cause sciatic pain, lay on a heating pad for 20 minutes every couple of hours if possible, the heat will help to tell the muscles to relax, ice only reduces swelling, it doesn't relax muscles. Second, take tylenol or it's generic acetaminophen as directed, this is a great anti inflammatory, and it clears your body through your liver so it won't upset your stomach. third, don't bend at the waist, if in fact your sciatic pain is being caused by a disc herniation bending could make it worse, bend with your knees, I know it's hard to do when you have that kind of pain, but believe me having to have spinal fusion is worse. Fourth, don't twist/ turn at the waist, again it's for the same reason as bending, turn your whole body. Fifth, don't lift more then 10-15 lbs, this falls into the muscle and disc area, you don't want to stress your muscles anymore then they are and you don't want to herniate or make a herniated disc worse, and lastly if none of this helps try contacting your local government and see if there is a free clinic, or some sort of income based health plan you can get on, because you might need to see a doctor and dealing with the back is expensive. If you have to see a doctor talk to the office and tell them you are uninsured some doctors offices will charge reduced prices, or will work with you on payment plans. I wish you all the best and I hope I was some help to you, good luck.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment