Friday, January 21, 2011

It is mandatory for me to get health insurance?

I am living in British Columbia, Canada. I just found out that I am required by law to get the health insurance that the government provides. What happens if I don't want to get it? Will they send me to jail? Will they give me a fine?
--------------------
Enrolling for medical coverage is mandatory for B.C. residents. http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/insurance/bc… Your employer would automatically deduct from your paycheques for the BC health care premium, as they deduct your taxes, EI & CPP premimums. In other words, you have no choice unless you wish to get a hard time to your employer by getting you fired. If you are self employed, and do not remit the health care premium, I would imagine that there is a penalty (at least interest charges for the outstanding and late amounts) for the non remittance.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment