Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Is it your own fault if you are in the USA and have no health insurance?

I am in the UK, and the impression I get is that many people in the USA blame the 46 million or so people in the USA who have no insurance for not having any. Is it your own fault if you have no health insurance?
--------------------
If my husband loses his job - possible in this economy, we will need to get insurance on our own. I have had minor elevated cholesterol controlled with diet and exercise, sciatica for about 3 months, a consequence of hours on my feet at my job and an active life, and a clinical depression treated for about a year after the death of 4 relatives, a move, and job change. My husband had moderately high fasting blood sugar level, and one test several years ago that showed high triglycerides, both controlled with diet and exercise. If I wanted to get insurance, I probably could, but I would have to pay an exorbitant price that would be beyond the reach of many people with a similar health history. Also, the depression, any illness related to the blood disorders, and any back problems would probably be excluded - in other words, the things that might make me sick would not be covered, even though I was making monthly payments for coverage. My sister is 59. She just had surgery. Who do you think will offer her reasonable and affordable insurance? Many people with prior health problems have access to health care only through some state run program for the "uninsurable," and then at a very high cost. Is it their own fault? Sometimes, but not always. Some people really do have bad luck. I inherited my father's cholesterol levels. That isn't something I can control beyond care and attention to diet and exercise. Added as an edit - Juniper, you would not be left to rot. Since your condition disables you, you would get medical care through a government program called Medicade. It is the working poor, like the girl with the Minimum wage job, who gets caught without the means to buy insurance. It's rotten, of course...she makes too much to qualify for health care, but not enough to afford her own coverage.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment