Wednesday, December 29, 2010

how much does it cost to visit ER without health insurance ?

Just wondering since I visited a hospital's ER couple weeks ago . Have not received any bills yet , I'm 26 yrs old , have a health insurance from blue shield california but the plan has almost $2000 copayment that I have to pay before I can take any benefit ... I visited the ER , did a X-ray , talked to a ER physician ... and that's about it . anyone knows how much I might have to pay for the visit ?
--------------------
I'm wondering - was this a true emergency? Did it require an ER visit, with all the extra expense? Could you have gotten the same treatment by seeing your regular doctor at his office? You don't say what the x-ray was for. Broken bone? We have Blue Shield, and our ER copay is $100 to just walk in the door. The doctor's office copay is $20. Other posters are right - Blue Shield has an "allowable charge" they say the service if worth (usually about half the original charge), then they pay part of that. Wait for all their paperwork to go through, then the hospital will bill you for the amount you owe. You probably also have a yearly deductible, which you might have to meet before they will pay anything. Check your policy to see where to go online to see your own personal account. We don't use the ER unless it's absolutely necessary.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment