Thursday, December 23, 2010

If I get employer-provided health insurance, will I still have any freedom to choose what kind I want?

Say that I get a job, and one of my benefits as an employee is health insurance. Does this mean that I either have to (1) accept the employer's health insurance unconditionally or (2) refuse and find an insurance company to get health insurance from OR, are people able to negotiate what kind of insurance they want with their employers? Or do some companies allow negotiation and others don't? I don't get it. Does accepting employer-provided health insurance mean you lose freedom to choose or something? Thanks.
--------------------
I would strongly recommend you NOT refuse the generous group health insurance your employer is providing at a time of recession. I say "generous" because many employers do not offer insurance. I say "generous" because with group health you will be accepted unconditionally. I say "generous" because the premium you will pay with your group plan will pale in comparison to the exhorbitant premiums charged pay personal insurance. I say "generous" because your employer is likely off-setting some of the costs of your insurance coverage. With personal health insurance, you may not be accepted if you have pre-existing conditions. Your usage of the insurance will be reported to a subscription service called the Medical Information Bureau. The insurance company considers YOU the risk factor (not a group of people), and therefore can nit-pick what they will pay for you, and what they will not. And they will cancel you faster than a heart beat if you get sick. Freedom has it's price, and with health insurance, it's an EXTREMELY high price to pay to refuse a company-sponsored health plan in exchange for the meager rations of care you will receive on a personal health insurance plan.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment