Sunday, December 19, 2010

If I do NOT have health insurance but I have been to a doctor, how do health insurance companies find this out?

I have been to a walk-in clinic and my local ER a few times but I did not have insurance when I went. I was treated, but I paid by cash. No insurance claim was filed. Right now, I am applying for health insurance. If I don't disclose this, HOW will the insurance company find out that I went. If it wasn't an insurance claim, and I paid by cash, will they even know I went? I also got a prescription.
--------------------
http://www.mib.com/ This is the link to MIB or medical information bureau. You can request your medical records for free. My understanding that if you have applied for any kind of insurance (medical/life/disability) w/in the last 10 years, that information will be on there. It is better to disclose all on your application. Unless you have a heart condition, circulatory disease, blood disorder, cancer or stroke, most likely ok. All applications ask this and will automatically deny you if you have. But if it states, have you been treated or diagnosed w/in the last 5 years for anything, you better disclose it now;;;;;most likely will not affect anything, but if you fail to do so and later treat for it, they will get all of your records and find out you lied. Then you will find out that no;;;;;company will insure you when you least expect it. BTW; Lets say you go to ER or any doctor out there, especially the 1st time, they make you fill out an application which has a long list that you could check off, or when you talk to the Doctor, you state I went to the urgent care for such and such. Guess what the Doctor will note this to his records. During this health care reform that is going on now. Many people complained they had insurance for years, but get serious illness where the insurance denys treatment, since they went thu their records and found out that maybe 10 years ago they saw a doctor about this and now state pre-existing. Do you want to take that chance when you need insurance the most? good luck
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment