Thursday, November 25, 2010

How do I go without health insurance?

I know this sounds arrogant due to the fact that a lot of people out there do not have health insurance to begin with. But I have 2 kids and I'm thinking of taking a job offer that will pay more than the job I currently have, however I won't get any benefits for 2 months. What should I do?
--------------------
If you currently have a job with health insurance, you should be able to continue coverage through COBRA- basically paying the full cost plus a couple of percentage points administrative fee. You should not go without coverage even for a short time- especially if you have children. Anything could happen and then when you do have the coverage through your new job a condition that occurred during the meantime might not be covered because of the break in coverage. If you absolutely cannot afford the premium under COBRA at least seek out a temporary policy. They are much cheaper but have high deductibles. They are designed just for this kind of situation. I was in the same boat after finishing school- the day after my 5-year old broke her arm! Fortunately we had purchased a temporary insurance policy.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment