Sunday, August 21, 2011

Trying to obtain health insurance at McDonald's?

I starting working at McDs seven months ago, and didn't need to enroll in their health insurance program because I was covered under my parents. My coverage under my parents' policy ended a week ago, so I'm trying to enroll for health insurance of my own through work. They told me that I have to wait until June for open enrollment, but I've heard a lot about "life-changing events" that can qualify you, would one of these be losing your coverage? And is there anything that McDs is legally required to do about it?
--------------------
You can't sign on until open enrollment. Here are the qualifying events: •Marriage or divorce •Birth or adoption of a child •Death of a spouse or dependent •Significant change in the health care coverage of the employee or the employee's spouse attributable to the spouse's employment •The taking an unpaid leave of absence by you or your spouse •Change from part-time employment to full-time employment or the reverse by you or your spouse You SHOULD have taken coverage as soon as you could have . . . losing dependent status will qualify you for COBRA on your parent's policy, but WON'T get you added to your employer's coverage outside of open enrollment. Sorry!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment