Wednesday, May 18, 2011

When are my rights when my employer cancels my health insurance without notifying me?

My health insurance has been cancelled since 12/31/05, and my dental insurance has been cancelled since 10/1/05. The reason is that my employeer got way behind on paying the premiums, so the providers cancelled the coverage. Today was the first time my employer notified us that the insurance has been cancelled, and they will be trying to open a new policy with different providers in May. I have already had several doctors visits and dental appointments since then, and now have over $800 in medical bills since these visits were not covered. I did not know the insurance was cancelled when I had these appts. I also have prescriptions that I have been unable to fill. When I brought the problem to my employer's attention a month ago, she said they would make the back payments and coverage would be reinstated without interruption. Now they're starting with a new policy. What are my rights in this situation? Are there any resources or agencies to help me?
--------------------
You should start looking for a new job immediately. Any employer that promises you this coverage (and maybe even takes some of your earnings to pay the premium) and doesn't buy the coverage is unethical and may have violated state law (especially if you were to be paying some of the premiums via payroll deduction). Added: Each state has an Insurance Department that regulates the industry. Find the phone number in the capital city of the state you live in and call them about this. You should call the insurance department in your state and ask that an investigation be opened immediately to preserve your rights. Your credit rating is on the line if you don't pay those bills. If you paid some of the premiums, then your employer basically stole your money and you should look for work elsewhere. If they didn't pay the premiums and they told you they did, you should turn over all receipts to the employer and demand they pay the bills because the insurance would have.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment