Thursday, February 3, 2011

Why is health insurance so incredibly expensive?

I am 32 years old with high blood pressure and obesity. I just started a new job (a small employer- only 3-4 employees), and we all desperately need health insurance. Kaiser wants to charge me $550 per month for my single policy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!… I only earn 900 per month. If I go with Kaiser, I will only be taking home about 90 dollars each week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is absurd and unconscionable. I guess that Kaiser has a legal right to charge people whatever the hell they want to, but it's immoral. Wouldn't you agree? That high of a cost for health insurance is ludicrous.
--------------------
Its not unconscionable. Where have you been for the past 10 years? You plan is EXTREMELY typical. That whole 'national health care debate' thing... Health care, state of crisis, ring any bells???? Its not out of line. Suck it up, and apply for medicaid... try union insurance. Or, get healthier. If you're healthier, your insurance will be less expensive... OR, Go work for a company with better benefits. Most group insurance plans actually cost between 450-750 per person, per month. Mine is about $500.00 per month. My job pays about 80% of my premium... So, everyone's insurance is expensive... But, you're getting a raw deal because your employer isn't kicking in to help with your premium. Its not immoral... Kaiser has to pay their doctor's and electricity bills... They also run a fabulous research foundation. I'd rather pay them for insurance than pay for all my medical care alone. I'm pretty healthy, but know I couldn't afford it all on my own... Health insurance companies are greedy, and doctor's are greedy, and people are sick. mbrcatz17 is right. listen to her. she sounds less bitter than I.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment