Thursday, February 3, 2011

Can my wife remove me from her Health Insurance?

My wife and I have separated. We are currently living apart from each other. She is employed full-time. Recently, she cancelled my health insurance that she receives through her employer. I had heard that this is illegal. In other words, I was told that a spouse cannot remove the other spouse from his or her health insurance until there is a divorce. However, when I called the insurance company, I was told that she had removed me during "open enrollment" and that she is legally allowed to do so during that time. I am disabled and would suffer greatly if I lose my health coverage. Is what she did legal?
--------------------
It is legal. You should consult your lawyer to make sure that she was supposed to keep the coverage for you under the agreement. If she was, then it was not legal.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment