Wednesday, February 2, 2011

my boss did not pay premium for my health insurance now I have a $44000 bill in collection what can I do?

My boss was paying for my health insurance I was pregnant, my boss wanted me to get an abortion, I did not. She did not pay my premium and my insurance got cancelled. Now I owe $44000 which is in collection. What can I do?
--------------------
Eek. Was this a group insurance plan offered through your employer to all eligible employees? Or was your employer paying on the side for an individual plan for you? Makes a big difference - you have a lot more protection if it was a group plan. In that case, I'd suggest contacting the department of labor. If your boss was just paying an individual plan for you on the side, that might be more difficult for you. First thing I'd do is dig up anything I had in writing where my boss agreed to pay the premium. Then I'd consult an attorney and/or the Department of Labor to see where to proceed. And I might also consult an attorney about your boss trying to coerce you into getting an abortion, if that was the case...that may be construed as harassment in the workplace. Especially if your boss stopped paying your health insurance because you didn't do what she wanted. (Even if it doesn't technically qualify as harassment, there may be some other law it violates...its certainly inappropriate for your boss to try to step in on your personal life like that. Definitely consult an attorney - if you can't afford one, try the Legal Aid group in your area.)
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment