Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Why must I be prevented by government bureaucrats from choosing which health insurance provider?

I want? I live in New York (Brooklyn), and I can only choose a handful of companies in New York that are protected from competition from the rest of the country. So, instead of being able to choose from HUNDREDS of health insurance providers throughout the United States, (which would do wonders in keeping costs down) I have to chose between half a dozen overpriced, arrogant providers who know they got me by the balls because they have sweetheart deals with city and state bureaucrats who keep them protected at my (and everyone else) expense.
--------------------
~~Health insurance has always been governed under state laws. Health insurance is the problem, rich corporations keeping us hostage for something we need to survive. What I'm sick of is that the public option was given up on so early. That would be the only true way of getting competition to the corporate giants. The reason insurance could not work across state lines is because of the state medical laws, credentialing, etc. could never be worked out to buy across state lines. In theory it sounds reasonable but after working in that type of work for 14 years, I can without a doubt tell you it would be a nightmare. So, we will have some reform (not happy with the 4 year wait for most of the insurance regulation changes to go into affect, but at least it is a starting place. Maybe another generation or two will finally be free of "for huge profit health insurance!"
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment