Thursday, January 20, 2011

I'm not sure what kind of health insurance to get?

Is it usually best to get health insurance from your employer even if you make low wages? I'm covered under Minnesota Care, health insurance plan offered in MN for people who don't make that much money. Now that I am turning 21 and I make a dollar more an hour (7.80/hr), they are claiming that they need to charge me an additional 50 dollars a month for very limited health coverage since I am not considered a child any longer. I am planning to talk to another representative Monday to make sure the woman that I was talking to was correct about this, but if it is true I do not want health coverage with them if I can't get basic dental coverage. Is it best to apply for insurance offered by my employer or to look into different health options offered by the gov/state for people that make limited income? Thanks.
--------------------
You don't say how much you'll be paying to Minnesota Care, but I'll hazard a guess it's not much by the standards of what you'd pay for an individual policy. So, that leaves the employer option. However, you may not be able to get coverage at work just because you want to. Were you offered health insurance as a benefit when you joined? Even if there's a health plan at work and you qualify, you'll most likely have to wait until what's known as the "open enrollment" period to get onto the plan if you initially declined it. The open enrollment period is a 30 day window at some time during the year (and there's no way to say when that 30 day window might be, you'll have to ask HR) during which you can elect or change benefit plans for any reason at all. To get added to the group plan otherwise, you have to have what's known as a "qualifying event" as defined by the group plan and there are very few events on that list. (And from memory, I don't believe your current situation would be viewed as a "qualified event.) Go talk to your HR rep, because it's all in the details where these things are concerned.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment