Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I already have health insurance, what does universal health care do for me?

I currently pay $121 per month out of my pocket for health insurance every month, and they barely cover anything! I had surgery that was $291 a couple of weeks ago and I had to pay $245 of it. With this universal health care, does that mean I don't need to pay $121 per month anymore to receive health care?
--------------------
It's hard to answer your question without knowing the specifics of your insurance plan. But first you should understand that the health insurance reform about to passed is NOT universal health care. It only requires most people to buy private insurance if they don't already have it. If you're currently in a group health plan through your employer, your situation may not change much at all, except you might have to pay more when the insurance company raises its rates -- which will happen with or without reform. Also, if you ever lose your job or decide to start your own business, the reforms will make it easier and (hopefully) more affordable to obtain health insurance.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment