Sunday, January 16, 2011

Has anyone ever changed Health Insurance while Pregnant?

I am self employed and my wife and I are getting killed by our monthly health insurance premium (almost $1000 out of pocket). We would like to change to a cheaper company. We've had constant coverage for more than 5 years, she has maternity coverage, and she's currently pregnant. Everything I've read either says: - nothing will be covered since pregnancy is a preexisting condition - since we have current coverage, it would just be a switch and we might have to pay another premium for her pregnancy Anyone have any *real* advice?
--------------------
Your stuck... 1. If you switch, the pregancy will not be covered 2. If you (dad) try and switch, most companies will decline you because you have an unborn child (depends on the laws in your state) 3. Is there anyway your company can start a group (talk to your CPA) to get group coverage? Pregancy can't be pre-ex for group coverage under federal law (so it doesn't matter what state your located in) Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. I would "suck it up" through the 6 week post-natal checkup then try and switch
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment